Updated on December 13, 2022
10 Tips for Organizing your Home
Discover proven tips for organizing your living space and making it more pleasant for the whole household.
Organize Your Closets
- Add hooks to the interior sides to hang your belts and shoe racks for your footwear.
- Use shallow storage boxes on the floor to hold the rest of your shoe collection.
- Add shelves near the top of the closet to store items you no longer use but want to keep, such as mementos and seasonal items
Maximize Space in the Kids’ Bedroom
- Take advantage of this space with storage boxes on casters, with handles for easy access.
- Put up colourful coat pegs or a wall-mounted coat rack to hold bags of toys or clothes.
- Use canvas or bamboo baskets to hold larger toys.
Use Every Corner of your Kitchen Cabinets
- Lazy Susan carousels will turn even the darkest corner into an accessible storage haven.
- Install drawers, baskets, or shelves in base cabinets, or a rack or shelf under wall-mounted cabinets for utensils or spices.
- Mini shelves can be installed under the range hood, or a pot rack can be hung from the ceiling over the range
Optimize Space in the Bathroom
- Install hooks or shallow shelves on the back of the bathroom door and inside cabinet doors.
- Install a medicine cabinet with a mirrored door recessed between the wall studs.
- Add shelves above the toilet, and arrange attractive storage baskets on top.
Arrange a Functional Office Space
- An unused armoire or cabinet can be turned into a computer stand by fitting it with drawer slides.
- Measure a piece of plywood or melamine board, cut a square to fit the armoire and attach the drawer slides. Both the monitor and keyboard can slide out or be put away as needed.
- Put paper and other office supplies in the bottom drawers.
- Paint an old filing cabinet in a similar colour and place it alongside the armoire.
Organize your Garage on a Budget
- Build your own workbench by assembling two sawhorses with a smooth door or piece of plywood on top.
- Underneath, put plastic storage containers to hold power tools or sports equipment.
- Install several shelves and organize your equipment by theme: gardening, DIY, Christmas or Halloween decorations.
- Attach large hooks to the wall or ceiling to hang bicycles, kayaks, and other large gear.
Store Small Objects in Glass Jars
- Choose similar-sized jars.
- Put them in a drawer or on a shelf, or screw the jar lids to the underside of a kitchen cabinet, or a shelf in the garage or bathroom.
- The possibilities are endless:
- Nuts and bolts
- Makeup removal pads
- Makeup sponges and cotton swabs
- Safety pins and tape
- Spices, etc
Use or Make Decorative Storage Boxes
Pick the size you need for your boxes, as long as they are not too large. If you’re decorating them yourself, use cut-outs of pretty designs, wrapping paper, or even fabric; and attach them to the box with spray-on glue, a glue stick, or paste. Try this with seasonal themes like fall, Halloween and Christmas.
Use Space in the Attic
- If there is good insulation, install wooden strapping across the trusses to provide the base structure for a plywood platform.
- Take measurements and build the platform.
- Sort out all the items that can withstand the cold, heat, and humidity.
- Pack small items in airtight plastic containers and place on the platform
Food Storage Made Easier
- Keep items purchased in bulk, in cool, dry, pest-free conditions.
- Pick stackable glass or plastic storage containers, which are convenient, dry, and come in different colours so that you can group different types of food together.
- The possibilities for optimizing food storage are endless. Have fun picking out the most useful accessories