Identify your needs
Before beginning the construction of your deck, take time to ask yourself the following questions. They will help you choose deck materials.
- How will the deck be used?
- Will there be an eating area?
- Will there be an outdoor kitchen?
- Will there be an outdoor fireplace or a fire pit?
- Is the deck intended as a relaxing outdoor living room?
- How would the weather affect the design? Can the deck be designed for use in more than one season?
- Are there any privacy issues such as with neighbours, nearby roads, commercial areas?
- Are there any other safety issues such as with children?
- Would a universal design be beneficial for those who are aging or who need assistance moving throughout the home and landscaping?