Before You Start
- Evaluate the space where you plan to build your rink. Check that the ground is level, or whether you need to make any repairs before starting construction.
- Always double-check your measurements! Make sure to account for support beams on the rink’s exterior and leave plenty of space between the rink and your fence, patio, or any other obstacles in your yard.
- Plan your rink based on your needs and budget. To save costs, opt for 2-foot boards. This allows you to cut your plywood in half, or to skip the boards altogether.
- You may want to use a tarp to protect your lawn. In this case, use a thick tarp and secure it outside of the frame.
- Think about where you will store your backyard rink during the off-season. If you do not have enough storage space, you might want to opt for a smaller rink.
- Before starting your construction project, check with your home insurance company and your municipality for any regulations you might need to follow.