How to Build a Backyard Shed
You can’t beat a well-designed shed for organizing the backyard and storing gardening equipment, bicycles, and outdoor furniture. This project outlines the steps to building a garden shed with convenient storage space.
Review our guide: Plan a backyard storage shed. The guide explains what you need to know about soil conditions, obstacles such as trees and fences, and the importance of respecting property lines, easements and encroachments.
Build the Floor
- 1.1 - Install double 2x6 ribbon and end joists to form the floor.
- 1.2 - Make sure the beams are square and level with each other.
- 1.3 - Nail 2x6 joist hangers every 12" on centre.
- 1.4 - Insert the joists and nail.
- 1.5 - Add 2x6 staggered cross-bridging or blocking between the joists to strengthen.
- 1.6 - Orient 5/8" plywood sheets perpendicular to the joists covering the entire floor and nail.
Build the Walls
- 2.1 - Using your plan, mark the door and window openings.
- 2.2 - Assemble the wall studs, structural components, and wall plates. Nail each 2x4 stud at both ends and every 16". If the wall has a window or door, the opening should include a king stud to support the window or door header. To build the header, attach a 2x4 to one face of the wall and a second one to the other face.
- 2.3 - Install the 7/16" OSB panels on the wall framing.
- 2.4 - Erect and plumb the walls.
- 2.5 - Install temporary bracing for each wall.
- 2.6 - Check the walls again to ensure they are plumb, level, and square.
- 2.7 - Where two walls meet in a corner, nail together.
- 2.8 - Join the top plate from one wall to the other by staggering the joints.
Build the Roof
- 3.1 - Cut the rafters and install in pairs according to the plan.
- 3.2 - Mark the ridgeboard and the top plate every 16", the location of the roof trusses.
- 3.3 - Check again that the walls are perfectly straight. If necessary, push or pull them into alignment and brace them.
- 3.4 - First install the roof trusses at either end of the shed. Secure the rafters in pairs on a ceiling joist. Retain a 1½" space at the top between the rafters to insert the ridgeboard. Secure the perpendicular studs between the joist and the rafters. Install the trusses on the top plate and support temporarily. Insert and secure the ridgeboard between the rafters.
- 3.5 - Nail the ceiling joists to the top plate, the bottom of every rafter to the joist, then the top of the rafter to the ridgeboard.
- 3.6 - Secure the sub-fascia to the rafter ends.
- 3.7 - Sheath the structure with plywood, taking care to stagger the joints and align them with the centre line of the roof trusses. Leave 1/8" clear at the joints to allow for swelling.
- 3.8 - Nail aluminum drip mouldings along the perimeter of the roof.
- 3.9 - Attach one strip of roofing felt paper along the roof's edges and install the shingles, finishing with a ridge cap.
Finish the Exterior
- 4.1 - Install the door in the opening according to the manufacturer's specifications.
- 4.2 - Install the window according to the manufacturer's specifications.
- 4.3 - Install all the decorative trim ahead of the exterior siding.
- 4.4 - Install the vinyl siding.
- 4.5 - Install the aluminum fascia, the mouldings for the soffit and then the soffit.
- 4.6 - Caulk around the door and window and anywhere else water may penetrate.